Let’s show you how to make an easy creamy, delicious shrimp and grits recipe.
Shrimp and grits recipe is a traditional dish of Southeast in American.
This meal is normally incorporated in breakfast, interestingly, grit can be a very simple comfort food made from hominy ( starch corn soaked in lye or alkali) combined with butter, milk, and optionally cheese.
What’s more, there are many ways to make shrimp and grits recipe- you can make it with wine or without wine, tomatoes or no tomatoes, with sausage or no sausage.
In fact, if you know what methods suit you best then go for it, what matters is the end product.
Do Shrimp and Grits Recipe have Nutritional Fact?
Yes!!. The nutritional facts of shrimp and grift are numerous, here are some healthy facts.
- Calories: 362kcal
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Protein: 26g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Cholesterol: 227mg
- Sodium: 857mg
- Potassium: 365mg
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 7g
- Vitamin A: 506IU
- Vitamin C: 5mg
- Calcium: 280mg
- Iron: 2mg
Type of Grits?
- Quick Grits: Quick grits are much finer in texture than stone-ground grits. When cooked, they turn out creamier, and it cooks in just about eight to ten minutes.
- Stone Ground Grits: Stone-ground grits are coarse in texture, and they have more corn flavor. Usually, it takes a longer time to cook (about 40 minutes), and it has no creamy texture when cooked. Basically, they are perishable because they are less processed, they should be stored in the freezer.
- Instant Grits: Instant grits are fine-textured grits. They are precooked and dehydrated, so they cook very fast. You can find them in little paper packets like instant oatmeal. They are not as rich in flavor as the stone-ground grits or quick grits.
Things to Note Before Making Shrimp and Grits Recipe
- Be sure to have all your ingredients ready before making your shrimp and grits because it is not a complicated recipe that may consume much of your time.
- Grits thicken fast, so it’s advisable you serve immediately. If the grits are too thick, feel free to stir in a little bit of water or milk before serving. If it’s too thin, you can cook a little longer or leave it to cool down. It thickens as it cools.
Ingredients for Shrimp and Grits Recipe
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup grits
- ½ – 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 white onion medium – diced
- 1½ cups green, red, and yellow bell peppers diced
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp red chili flakes or to taste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- scallion sliced (optional)
- 1 lb large shrimp peeled and deveined
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Directions for Shrimp and Grits Recipe
In a medium pot, pour the milk and chicken stock on medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
Whisk the grits into the pot. When the mixture comes to boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and add half teaspoon salt and half teaspoon cayenne pepper and cook until water is absorbed, and the mixture becomes thickened about 15 minutes.
Now, remove from heat and stir in butter and cheese until melted and set aside.
In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp about 10 minutes.
Rinse shrimp and pat dry. Season the shrimps with salt and pepper and cook in the bacon fat until pink about 3 minutes on each side.
Add the bacon, diced onions, bell peppers, red chili flakes, black pepper, minced garlic, and salt to taste and cook for another two minutes.
Add chicken stock and leave to simmer for another 3 to 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and serve over the prepared grits.
Garnish with scallions on top, if desired.
Serve when hot. Enjoy your recipe.
Have you made it? Drop your experience on the comment box below, see you in my next post on recipes.