Let’s discuss How to Cook Easy Egusi Soup (Melon Soup Boiling Method)
The method I used in this melon soup recipe is the boiling method. Having different methods of cooking will make you not run out of ideas.
You can fry egusi soup, but you can opt for this method if you don’t want to fry. The choice is all yours.
How to Cook Egusi Soup (Melon Soup Boiling Method)
- 2 Cups Ground Egusi (melon powder)
- 2 Rodo (Habanero)
- Salt to taste.
- 2 Red bell pepper (tatashe)
- 1 Big Onion
- 1 Cup Palm oil (use less or more)
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Crayfish (use less or more)
- 1 Cup Shredded dried fish (optional)
- Dried fish (Protein of your choice)
- Any vegetable of your choice
- Bouillon seasoning powder/cube
Preparation for Egusi Soup (Melon Soup Boiling Method)
- If you’re using, have melon seed toast in a pan and grind, then set aside. I used ground melon that was already toasted.
- Clean the red bell (tatashe), rodo (habanero), half of the onion, and blend to smooth.
- Wash the fish by adding the fish to a bowl of hot water and salt to remove the dirt; if you’re using shredded fish, clean that too and set it aside.
- Add the blended pepper and oil and bring to a boil in a big pot over medium-high heat.
- While the pepper is boiling, dice the remaining onion into the ground melon, add the crayfish, and add water small quantity,
- Tenderly scoop the melon (egusi) mixture into the boiled pepper, season with seasoning powder/cube and salt, and continue cooking. Check for water and more if necessary.
- Add your locust beans.
- Add both the shredded and whole fish (or any protein you’re using) to the mixture, add about half a cup of broth/water or more to loosen up the soup and allow the fish to absorb the soup, and gently shake to lower the fish down the mixture without breaking apart. Continue to cook to allow the fish to absorb the mixture and cook.
- Rinse the vegetable, pull off the stem, chop, and set aside.
- When the fish is fully cooked, gently remove it and put it onto a plate.
- Add the vegetable and stir, check the seasoning and return the fish into the soup and shake to combine.
- Check the seasoning and add if necessary. Turn off the heat and allow the soup to simmer.
You can enjoy the meal with eba, fufu or semovita.