Let’s discuss the Health Benefits of Afang Soup – Is Afang Leaf Good for Your Health?
My favorite Afang Soup story began when I was posted to the South-South part of Nigeria, River state for NYSC. Like Hia, ”what’s Afanf soup again”? my friend laughed and called out, ‘Lucy relax’ you will definitely like this meal.
Behold every ingredient used for the recipe was kind of unknown to me because, in my legion, we know nothing about the recipe and ingredients used in the preparation.
As we all know, Afang soup originated from Efik; in fact, it’s Efik most cultural recipe you can think of.
Afang soup is prepared from a leaf called Okazi and waterleaf, with other nutritional seafood such as periwinkle, snail, live crayfish, stockfish, etc.
The preparation mode of Afang and Okazi soup differ a little ( Okazi soup is mostly prepared by Imo and Abia states).
Amazing Health Benefits of Afang Soup
You will have a lot to say after tasting this recipe.
1. It helps heart health:
Okazi leaf has lots to contribute once it comes to the heart. It serves to lower the low-density lipoprotein (LDL) ” bad cholesterol and boost the high-density lipoproteins (HDL) ” good cholesterol”. However, these amazing leaves help to manage blood pressure and blood sugar.
2. Helps in Pregnancy:
Over the years, Afang soup has not been reported to cause any birth miscarriage rather, it keeps the pregnancy healthy and alive.
Okazi leaves help prevent nausea which is referred to as morning sickness in an early stage of pregnancy. More so, these leaves help reduce pain during childbirth.
3. It Can Promote Reproductive system:
This sounds funny. Okazi leaf helps in the sexual performance of a couple such as increasing the libido, helps in the blood flows of the sexual organs, helps boost ovulation.
More but not least, mostly for men, it helps in penile erection.
4. It serves as an Antidote for Poison:
The benefits of the leaf are so numerous that it is an antidote for some poison,
5. It is an Antifungal Properties:
Okazi leaves serve as an antifungal property such as it is used in the treatment of boils, warts.
Most immediately, it is used by these traditional doctors in treating measles in children.
6. It can care Malaria:
This leaf helps fight diseases since it has anti-bacterial and anti-parasite properties that are most needed to treat malaria.
7.Rish source of some vitamins c:
The leaf is a source of vitamin c, which helps in increasing the body’s resistance to disease.
8. It helps controls excess urine:
This leaf can be used to treat overactive bladder and also helps to control excessive urination both in adults and kids.
9. Cure for skin diseases:
Okazi leaf serves as a skincare remedy for eczema, rashes just a squeeze of the leaf, your answer to skin irritations s over.
10. Improves weight loss:
The dietary fiber in okazi leaves serves as a remedy for weight loss. It helps to reduce weight and as well helps to boost metabolism.
More so, it helps to prevent constipation, say bye to constipation by making this your favorite meal.
11. Strengthens born and teeth:
okazi leaves are rich in calcium and iron, which serves as a booster to healthy strong borns and death. Moreso, it fights and prevents osteoporosis and rheumatism.
Benefits of Afang Soup – Ingredient:
- Okasi leaf
- A small amount of waterleaf
- Castor Spice ( ogiri)
- A cup of crayfish ( depending on the quantity of soup)
- Roasted/ dried fish ( to your choice of protein)
- 1 cup of palm oil ( choose quantity based on body health)
- stockfish ( MUch of it optional)
- Salt and pepper to boost the taste
- 2 cubes of Maggi ( i use Knorr Maggi)
- 1 cup of periwinkle ( to increase the protein in it) optional
- 1 big onion ( i love onions, though)
- Sea crayfish
- Meat ( chicken or beef choices differs)
However, if the quantity to cook is more or less, you may adjust the measurement.
Benefits of Afang Soup – Preparation
- Rinse the meat; stockfish put it in a pot.
- Add the onion, spices, and cook the mixture for half an hour depending on the meat’s strength, and allow to tender. Wait until the meat and stockfish are about 3/4 soft compared to full readiness before adding up your rinsed periwinkle and fish.
- Wash the crayfish and pepper, add castor Spice ( ogiri) to blend for smoothness, and add to the boiling proteins.
- Put the leaves in separate dishes and rinse them with water to get rid of sand. In a food processor, blend the okasi leaves to break them up a little. But you can break it up a little more using a food processor/ mortar and pestle, so the shreds are not as long
- In a deep pot heat up the palm oil on medium heat (be careful not to overheat the oil on high heat) and sauté the other sliced onion for 10 minutes until it is starting to get caramelized. Add up your cooked proteins, allow simmering
Once the meat is tender and is done braising. Set aside.
- The waterleaf should be added to the already cooked protein; cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir the soup, taste it a little and choose whether to add spices before putting in Ugu.
- Stir and wait for 3 more minutes before adding your okasi and allow let it simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
Enjoy your Afang soup, see you in my next article.