What an amazing recipe e have here. Shepherd’s pie recipe is a recipe that originated from England. This recipe is mostly made with a ground lamb filling.
However, you can as well use ground beef, both methods are extremely delicious.
Check out some delicious recipes here:
How to Make Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
Ingredients for Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 c. frozen peas
- 2/3 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 c. frozen corn
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- 1 1/2 lb. potatoes, peeled
- Kosher salt
- 4 tbsp. melted butter
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1/4 c. sour cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
Directions for Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400°, In a large pot, add potatoes with water and add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and cook until totally soft, 16 to 18 minutes. Drain and return to pot.
- Use a potato masher to mash potatoes until smooth. Add melted butter, milk, and sour cream. Mash together until fully incorporated, then season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Make beef mixture: In a large, ovenproof skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, carrots, thyme, garlic, and cook until fragrant and tender for 5 minutes. Add ground beef and cook until it is not showing pink, 5 minutes more. Drain fat.
- Stir in frozen peas and corn and cook until warmed through, 3 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle meat with flour and stir to evenly distribute. Cook 1 minute more and add chicken broth. Allow to a simmer and let the mixture thicken slightly for 5 minutes.
- Top beef mixture with an even layer of mashed potatoes and bake until there is very little liquid visible and mashed potatoes are golden for about 20 minutes. Broil if desired.
- Garnish with parsley before serving
Serve and enjoy.
Have you made it? Drop your experience in the comment box below.