Let’s show you How to Cook Easy Groundnut Soup (Peanut Soup)
Groundnut Soup (Peanut Soup) is an alternative to Egusi Soup; the preparation is almost similar. The only to differentiate them is the taste.
However, the two procedures of preparing egusi can still apply to groundnut soup.
In my last articles, I discuss in details how to cook the two methods of Egusi Soup ( frying method and boiling method)
Here is how you can cook groundnut soup
Ingredients to Use
- 500g raw peeled groundnuts (peanuts)
- Palm Oil
- ground dry cayenne pepper
- A small bunch of Nigerian Pumpkin leaves or 6 cubes Frozen Spinach or Bitterleaf
- 2 tablespoons ground crayfish
- 2 big stock cubes
- Assorted meat and fish. I use:
- Shaki (cow tripe)
- Dry fish
- Salt to taste
Preparation for groundnut soup
- Rinse and boil your stockfish for 3 minutes to remove the chemicals in it, wash and remove the bone dry fish.
- Roast the raw groundnuts in a pan, stirring constantly. Set aside to cool down completely, then grind into powder with a dry mill.
- Wash and cut the Nigerian pumpkin leaves into tiny pieces. If using frozen spinach, cut into small pieces and wring out the excess water when fully defrosted.
- Prepare other ingredients: grind the pepper and grind the crayfish.
- In a pot, add all your proteins, put 1 cube of knorr and salt to cook until it gets soft and tender.
- Add the crayfish, salt, and pepper, cover, and cook till it boils.
- Transfer the meat and fish to a container leaving the stock in the pot.
- Add the ground groundnuts and stir very well till there are no lumps. Reduce the heat to very low and start cooking.
- Stir every 5 minutes and top up the water if necessary. This mixture burns easily, so watch it closely and stir as often as necessary.
- Cook till a thin film of clear oil appears on the surface. This should take about 15 minutes. Add palm oil and stir very well.
- Add the protein, stir and cook on low heat till it boils. For those who prefer their groundnut soup without vegetables, the soup is ready at this time.
- Add the vegetables, stir and leave to simmer. Stir again, and it is done.
Serve Groundnut Soup with any Fufu.