Here is How to Make Easy Air Fryer Falafel Recipe
Ingredients for a falafel recipe
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves, stems removed
- 2 cups dried chickpeas ( Note ”do not use canned or cooked chickpeas”)
- ¾ cup fresh cilantro leaves stem removed
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- ½ cup fresh dill stems removed
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- Oil for frying
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 7–8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 small onion, quartered
- Salt to taste
FOR TAHINI SAUCE
- Pita pockets
- English cucumbers, chopped or diced
- Baby Arugula
- Tomatoes, chopped or diced
Directions for a falafel recipe
- Place the dried chickpeas and baking soda in a large bowl filled with water to cover the chickpeas by at least 2 inches. Soak overnight for 18-20 hours. When ready, drain the chickpeas completely and pat them dry.
- Add the chickpeas, herbs, onions, garlic, and spices to the large bowl of a blending machine. Blend until it is well combined, forming the falafel mixture.
- Transfer the falafel mixture to a container and cover tightly. Put in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour until ready to cook.
- Before frying, add the baking powder and sesame seeds to the falafel mixture and stir with a spoon.
- Scoop tablespoonfuls of the falafel mixture and form into patties (½ inch in thickness each). It helps to have wet hands as you form the patties.
- Fill a medium saucepan 3 inches up with oil. Heat the oil on medium-high until it bubbles softly. Drop the falafel patties in the oil, let them fry for about 3 to 5 minutes or so until crispy and medium brown on the outside.
- Avoid packing the falafel in the saucepan; fry them in batches if necessary.
- Put the fried falafel patties in a colander or plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Serve falafel when hot, or serve the falafel patties in pita bread with tahini or hummus, tomatoes, cucumber, or arugula. Enjoy!