Let’s show you How to Make Easy Peppered Gizzards Recipe.
This recipe reminded me of my Dad. You can’t do without keeping a gizzard cut from the chicken because he usually requests it.
Then I thought gizzard was only meant for the chiefs ” He was among the Chiefs though”, as unique and sacred as a gizzard; it is referred to as Nze-Nze in Igbo land.
Presently, based on research, gizzard contains many nutritional benefits, such as it is a good source of vitamin C, riboflavin, magnesium, copper, manganese, and many others.
So tell me why I wouldn’t make it my favorite protein. It is so simple to make, and gizzards are unbelievably cheap.
Ingredients for Peppered Gizzards Recipe
- 500g (1.1 lbs) chicken gizzards
- 3 habanero peppers (or to your taste)
- 2 medium onions
- 1 big stock cube
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Before you make Your Peppered Gizzards Recipe
- Ensure that the inside skins of the gizzards are peeled off, then wash and place them in a pot.
- Cut the onions into big chunks.
- Pound or blitz the peppers.
- Marinate the gizzards with the seasonings if you want. Gizzards have a rubbery texture, so the marinade does not penetrate the meat.
Direction for the Peppered Gizzards Recipe
- Add the stock cube, the thyme, and big chunks of onions into the gizzards. If you marinated them, add the onions.
- Pour water to just under the level of the gizzards and start cooking at medium heat. This quantity of water will dry up by the time the gizzards are well done.
- When the gizzards are well done, remove the big chunks of onions.
- Increase the heat to high and constantly stir till all the remaining liquid in the pot is absorbed. You don’t want to lose any flavor by pouring away the gizzard stock.
- Add salt to taste and stir very well.
- Lay the gizzards flat in a baking bowl.
- Grill in an oven at 170°C or 338°F till the top side is dry and brown. Turn them and grill the underside too till dry and brown. If you don’t have an oven, deep-fry them.
- Heat the vegetable oil in another pot.
- Add the pepper and the grilled/deep-fried gizzards.
- Stir very well till the pepper is evenly distributed on the gizzards. The vegetable oil ensures that this happens and gives the grilled gizzards a nice glow.
- Insert toothpicks and serve.
Serve it as a side dish to Fried Plantains, Rice & Beans, or Jollof Rice.