Let us show you How To Make Lemon Layer Cake.
This article will introduce you to another interesting recipe, the same as how to spice up your lemon recipe diet. If you are a lemon dessert lover, don’t miss out on this write-up.
Also Read: Benefit of Eating Cucumber
How To Make Lemon Layer Cake
Things To Note Before Making The Recipe
- Is sifting the flour necessary? the answer is yes because it helps to aerate it; however, it makes the cake lighter and smooth.
- Make your lemon cake; it is good to use all-purpose flour because it is already sifted and refined.
- Sift the flour in a bowl, measure out 3 cups. ( is important you sift before measuring.
- Ensure the lemon cake is smooth to taste and thick before putting it in a 3 9-inch cake pan.
- For a 2 layer cake, divide it between two 9-inch cake pan.
- The lemon cake takes a long time ( 40 minutes) to bake; however, always test for doneness with a woody kitchen knife.
- Sifted all-purpose flour : 3 cups (345g)
- Baking powder: 2 and 1/2 teaspoons
- Baking soda: 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt: 1/2
- Unsalted butter: 1 cup (230g)
- Granulated sugar: 1 and 3/4 cups (350g)
- Egg: 3 big
- Pure vanilla extract: 2 teaspoons
- Buttermilk: 1 cup (240ml)
- Lemon zest: 1 tablespoon ( about 2 lemon)
- Lemon juice: 1/3 cup (80ml) about 2 or 3 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease the bake pan, line with parchment paper, then lubricate the parchment paper. Parchment paper helps the cakes seamlessly be freed from the pans.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- A stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beats the butter and sugar together until smooth and creamy.
- Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract until blended, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl as needed.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients just until blended.
- With the mixer still running on low, add the lemon zest and lemon juice, buttermilk mix just until blended. You may need to whisk it all by hand to make sure there are no lumps at the bottom of the bowl, and it will be a little thick.
- Pour batter into cake pans. Bake for around 21-26 minutes or until the cakes are baked through.
- To test for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, it’s done.
- Allow cakes to cool. The cakes must be completely cool before frosting and assembling.
How to Frosting your Lemon Layer Cake:
- In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with a whisk or paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese and beat until smooth and mixed.
- Add confectioners’ sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla extract with the mixer running on low.
- Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes.
- Add more confectioners’ sugar if frosting is too thin, more lemon juice if frosting is too thick, or add a pinch of salt if frosting is too sweet.
How to Assemble And Decorate:
- Using a serrated knife, slice a thin layer off the tops of the cakes to form a flat surface.
- Discard (or crumble over ice cream!). Place 1 cake layer on your cake stand, cake turntable, or serving plate.
- Evenly cover the top with about 1 cup of frosting.
- Top with the 2nd cake layer and evenly cover the top with about 1 cup of frosting.
- Top with the third cake layer.
- Separate the remaining frosting all over the top and sides.
- Refrigerate for at least 30-45 minutes before slicing. This holds the cake shape when cutting.
- Cover leftover cake and store it in the refrigerator for 5 days.