Let’s show you How to Make White Moi Moi.
People have different ways of making their recipe stand out; White Moi Moi is of its kind.
White Moi Moi without adding oil is another way to enjoy Moi Moi; this recipe is mostly for vegetarians or persons with a little health challenge.
What makes this recipe stand out from other ways of cooking Moi Moi is the white color, and you can eat it with delicious cooked stew or sauce.
How to Make White Moi Moi
For 4 medium wraps of White Moi Moi, you will need:
For the White Moi Moi
- 360g black-eyed or brown beans
- 1 small onion
- 1 big stock cube
- 2 cooking spoons vegetable oil ( vegetable oil is to help the Moi Moi come out of the container easily when done)
- Salt (to taste)
- 600mls lukewarm water
For the stew
- 250mls Tomato Stew
- 2 small smoked mackerels
- 2 small onion
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and Habanero pepper (to taste)
- 1 small stock cube
White Moi Moi Containers
- Aluminum foil or
- Plastic Bowls or
- Uma Leaves (Thaumatococcus Daniellii)
Things to note before cooking White Moi Moi
- About 30 minutes before cooking the Moi Moi, soak and peel the beans.
- Step 1, put the peeled beans in a bowl and pour enough water to cover it. Leave to soak for one hour. The reason that the best consistency will be achieved when you blend the beans.
- Prepare Tomato Stew if you do not have some.
- Prepare some Smoked Fish and break it into big chunks.
- Pound/grind the pepper.
- Cut the onions into small pieces.
- Prepare the Moi Moi containers.
- Crush the stock cubes.
Preparation for White Moi Moi
- Blend the beans with the onions and crushed stock cubes and pour into a big enough bowl. Please note that the total quantity of water used (for blending and mixing) should be 600 MLS.
- Add the vegetable oil (if using it) and stir.
- Slowly add the remaining water and stir the mixture until you get a good mix of all the ingredients.
- Add salt to taste and stir thoroughly.
- Set some water in a pot to boil. The water should be about 1 cm deep.
- When the water boils, add some padding that will be a base for the Moi Moi wraps.
- Scoop the Moi Moi mix into your container of choice and gently place it in the pot of boiling water.
- When done, cover the wraps with some leaves or a plastic bag to keep the heat in.
- Cover the pot and start cooking on medium heat.
- Check it from time to time and add small quantities of water at a time when necessary.
- The length of time you will cook your Moi Moi depends on the quantity and the Moi Moi container you used.
Preparation for stew
The stew preparation is optional, or you can eat white Moi Moi with any tomato-based stew. For you to have a nice taste of your stew, you can use any of these ingredients: crayfish or smoked fish.
- Put the chunks of fish in a pot.
- Add the onions, some water, stock cube, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir and start cooking.
- Once it boils, add the tomato stew.
- Cover and leave to simmer, and it’s done!
Serve with the stew or skip the stew and serve the White Moi Moi.