Let’s discuss, Is Catfish Pepper Soup (Point and Kill) Good For Your Health?
This may sound wired for Catfish ( point and kill) lovers, not what you think anyway. Catfish Pepper Soup (popularly known as Point & Kill) is Nigerian pepper soup that usually blows people’s minds whenever they visit any of these big restaurants.
Do Catfish Pepper Soup Contain Cholesterol?
Obviously, catfish contains some cholesterol. Relax, don’t let that scare you.
Seafood normally contains different amounts of cholesterol; however, many kinds of seafood are good for the health because some help manages the cholesterol level.
Why You Should I Understand My Cholesterol Level
Cholesterol is a fast-killing disease presently. People hardly check meant their food intake anymore ” anything that comes around definitely is consumed”, let your health be the priority so ever.
What’s this Cholesterol all about? This is a fatty substance produced by your liver and is present in all of your cells. The function is to help you process vitamin D, break down foods, and make hormones.
What are the two main types of cholesterol? we have low- density lipoprotein (LDL) ”bad cholesterol”, and high- density lipoprotein (HDL) ”good cholesterol”.
The LDL cholesterol accumulates in the block blood flow, blood vessels and can also cause blood clots. However, this issue can cause serious problems such as stroke or heart attack.
However, high HDL cholesterol levels are good, as HDL cholesterol helps transport LDL cholesterol out of your arteries.
The National Institutes of Health previously recommended the following healthy cholesterol levels:
- Total cholesterol: less than 200 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL)
- LDL cholesterol (“bad”): less than 100 mg/dL
- HDL cholesterol (“good”): 60 mg/dL or higher
Is it ok to eat fish?
Is interesting, right? Fish can be so amazing when lowering your LDL cholesterol levels; I give credit to that.
Fish contains some high omega 3 fatty acids, which are essential dietary fats that can help you maintain a healthy cholesterol level by helping increase HDL level and lowering your triglyceride.
Omega-3s are so much essential for your body and brain functions. Salmon, trout, tuna, walnuts, and flaxseed are all good sources of omega-3 fatty acids.
Furthermore, most fish are low in saturated and trans fats, and many contain no trans fats.
However, consulting your doctor in any step you take will be a great idea; self-medication is not the key to a healthy life.
Shall We go to the Recipe Proper
Ingredients for Catfish Pepper Soup
- 500g Cat Fish
- 4 Ehu or Ariwo or Calabash Nutmeg seeds
- Habanero Pepper or chili pepper (to taste)
- A few scent leaves
- Uziza leaves
- 1 dawadawa
- 2 medium onions
- Salt (to taste)
- 2 big stock cubes
Alternative Ingredients for Catfish Pepper Soup
- Conger Eel (Congrio in Spanish) is a good alternative to catfish. When buying the Conger Eel, ensure you buy the part towards the tail so that the fish cuts will not have big holes in them.
- Parsley is a good alternative to scent leaves.
- To prepare Cat Fish Pepper Soup, wash and cut the catfish into 1-inch thick slices. Boil some hot water and pour on the pieces of fish, stir and remove immediately. This removes the outpart and toughens the fish’s skin so that it does not fall apart during cooking.
- Now it is time to prepare the ingredient. Using an old frying pan, roast the Ehu seeds (stirring constantly) till you can smell them. Don’t worry; you will know when it is OK to take it off because it has a distinctive aroma.
- Peel off the membrane from all the Ehu seeds and grind with a dry mill.
- Cut the onions into tiny pieces.
- Wash and pick the scent leaves, uziza, and dice into a small piece.
- Place the fish in a pot and pour water to cover the fish, add the stock cubes, and bring to a boil.
- Once it starts to boil, add the ground ehu, onions, habanero pepper, scent leaves, uziza, and continue cooking.
- Once the catfish is done, add salt to taste and leave to simmer for about 5 minutes, and it’s ready!
The Catfish Pepper recipe is best served when it is hot. Enjoy it more with chilled drinks. Do you want to eat it as your in-between meals? Then eat with Agidii white rice and boiled yam.