Let’s show you Moi Moi – How to Make Easy Nigerian Moi Moi.
I find Moi Moi so challenging to prepare. The process can be discouraging especially when you don’t have any food processor around.
The most challenging part is if you get the mixing wrong such as putting more water, it can be so annoying because no going back once starts cooking. The outcome will be a watery Moi Moi, and you don’t wish to have that horrible experience.
Here, I will show you how to make easy Nigeria Moi Moi.
How to Make Nigerian Moi Moi
For 12 muffin cups of Moi Moi, you will need:
- 350g black-eyed beans
- 1 habanero pepper
- 1 big red bell pepper
- 2 stock cubes
- 1 root of ginger and garlic
- 2 cooking spoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ground crayfish
- 1seed nutmeg
- 2 onion
- Warm water (for grinding and mixing)
- Salt (to taste)
Things you need to note before cooking
- The red bell pepper is used mostly to add a nice reddish colour and flavour to the recipe. I love to use Tatashe because it gives the Moi Moi a nice flavour and a good look.
- If you don’t have the strength to undergo the beans process, you can also use beans flour to prepare the recipe.
- For a spicy taste, use tasteless and odourless vegetable oils.
Tools and Equipment
- Aluminium foil or Moi Moi cup
- Blender (if using beans seeds)
Preparation on Nigerian Moi Moi
- If you are using bean seeds, peel the beans, blend with pepper, nutmeg, onions, crayfish, and mix the recipe.
- After blending, shallow fry your onions with vegetable oil for 3 minutes, add up your species and mix thoroughly. Readjust for taste if necessary.
- Set your pot on medium heat with water in it.
- Rub vegetable oil in the muffin cups.
- Pour the Moi Moi mix into the muffin cups.
- Cover with aluminium foil and fold the foil into the sides of the muffin cup. This aluminium foil prevents the Moi Moi from drying up.
- Cook for 45 minutes. Check it from time to time to ensure there is always water in the pot. If it looks like it is drying up, top up the water.
- When done, leave to cool down completely and bring them out from the muffin cups.
Serve immediately with an oath, rice, or store in the freezer.
Moi Moi is delicious, especially when you add those unique ingredients such as garlic, ginger, and nutmeg. Hope to see you in my next recipe article.